If you are looking for a new home, and have decided you want to live in a picturesque community with the atmosphere of a historic seaside resort, then you need look no farther than Hobcaw Point, a neighborhood of Mount Pleasant, SC. Dating to America’s colonial period, Mount Pleasant is five small communities combined into one town. The Hobcaw Point neighborhood is located on deep water, and has a history of ship building, ship repair, and timber production. It is also home to a fishing fleet important to the village’s economy.
Hobcaw Point is located between Hobcaw and Molasses Creeks on the site of the old Hobcaw Plantation. Mount Pleasant’s population has grown from 14,464 in 1980 to 71,875 in 2014, but Hobcaw has retained the peacefulness of a small town. It has lovely coastline and marsh views, and a landscape dotted with azaleas from mid-March to the first part of April, ancient oaks and pine trees. Those who have water frontage can watch dolphins and schools of fish.
Real Estate in Hobcaw Point
Hobcaw Point was once the preferred summer home of wealthy Charleston residents. The stately antebellum homes and mansions they built still exist and add to the community’s ambiance. Many homes are also available that were built from 1970 through 1999 to meet the needs of a growing population.
Hobcaw Point Homes for Sale
Hobcaw Point has all the amenities a homeowner could want. There are excellent schools, golf courses, good shopping and great restaurants. Hobcaw Yacht Club sponsors a summer regatta, has an outdoor swimming pool, dock and boat ramps, boat storage, facilities for community events, and a hall suitable for wedding receptions and other special activities. Hobcaw homeowners are eligible for club membership. Listed below is other information about Hobcaw Point.
- Schools: Local schools are excellent. Seven public elementary schools, three public middle schools, and one high school are part of the Charleston School District. Private schools are also available and consist of two independent schools, and three religious schools.
- Commute: Commuters to Charleston travel 15-30 minutes one way on normal days.
- Climate: Hobcaw Point has a temperate climate year round with January having the lowest temperatures and July being the hottest month. Annual rainfall averages 50.88 inches and snow is rarely seen.
- Home Prices: Range between $300,000 and $2 million.
- Home Square Footage Range: 2,300-5,300 square feet.
- Average Lot Size: ½ acre.
- Taxes and Insurance: Rates are moderate. Recent research showed the taxes and insurance for a house listed at more than $550,000, was only $365 per month.
- Miscellaneous: Fences are generally permitted. HOA fees do not apply to most properties. Some lots have water frontage.
For more information about Hobcaw Point, contact David Wertan with RE/MAX Advanced Realty.